TITLE
It
is very difficult to sit here and describe how I became me. Many factors go
into shaping a person’s identity, whether it is race, ethnicity, education,
family, or even friends. As an Irish Catholic Caucasian woman, I am able to
classify myself in many different ways. I believe that the many influential
people and circumstances that have occurred in my life have shaped my identity.
Since
the age of 6, I have attended a catholic school my whole life. Living in a
middle class suburb of Cleveland, this wasn’t unusual. Growing up attending a
catholic grade school was the norm, or so I thought. At this point in my life I
did not realize how lucky and fortunate I was to be able to go to a private
school. When it came time to decide where I wanted to attend high school, I was
given a choice of schooling for my first time. My parents gave me the option of
either going to the public high school in my city, or attending either one of
the two catholic all girl schools in Cleveland, Ohio. While many of the kids in
my grade school went on to public school, I decided to continue my education in
a catholic all girls’ high school called Magnificat. Little did I know, that attending
Magnificat would shape my identity in ways I never knew possible.
Going
into high school as a freshman was very intimidating. I only knew a few other
girls from grade school that continued their education at Magnificat. Walking
into the school filled with over 900 girls was frightening to say the least.
But the minute I stepped into the school, I became obsessed. Everyone was kind
and welcoming. For the first time in my life I didn’t feel the need to impress
anyone. I didn’t have to worry about boys judging me for what I was wearing or
what I looked like. I was able to get a great education without having to worry
about the little things that were not important.
During
my senior year of high school, I went on a service trip to Duran, Ecuador. We
were told that Duran was the poorest city in Ecuador. Before the trip I thought
I knew what poor looked like. Although I was a bit sheltered in my life, I
thought I knew what poor looked like. But I was completely wrong. No words can
describe the loss that those people had. They struggled to get water to drink
from, let alone enough to make food or even shower. The people lived in
“houses” made of bricks piled up in a small square. At that moment in life, I
realized how truly fortunate I was in life.
But
Magnificat did not only have an impact on my beliefs. It was there that I found
my best friends. While many people find their best friends in college, I
already had mine from high school. The women that became my best friends shared
many of the characteristics that I saw in myself. These women were
enthusiastic, caring, and honest. They influenced who I became and what I did
in my life.
There
is a saying that describes my Magnificat perfectly. “From the inside looking
in, you can never understand it. From the inside looking out, you can never
explain it.”
*add quotes
*add pictures
*add the difference of teaching at all guys school of my brothers
*how all girls school influenced how i view society
*how this shaped my identity as a woman
*add quotes
*add pictures
*add the difference of teaching at all guys school of my brothers
*how all girls school influenced how i view society
*how this shaped my identity as a woman
After talking to you about your paper before reading it, i thought it was a really cool approach to this assignment. I liked how you talked about the different aspects between an all female school versus an all girl school. This is something I've never really thought about but it's such an interesting concept. I've personally only attended public schools so I thought it was interesting to read how you noticed a difference in how you felt (confident wise about not having to impress anyone). I know that at my public schools, I dressed up everyday. Although I feel like I dressed up for myself, I'm sure I subconciously was thinking about the boys opinions and what they would think of me as I was getting ready. I also think it's really cool how youre realizing how much of an influence being around females your age has had on you. Keep it up
ReplyDeleteI think you should add more quotes. I really like the one you have already, just add more about it and explain how it relates to your life. Pictures of you maybe in your school uniform versus maybe how a girl would look in a public school. You could compare and contrast the two images. Also, bring in stuff about your brothers going to the all guys school. It might be cool to add some quotes from them about how they would feel (Would they try to get ready for school, did they feel they had anyone to impress?)
ReplyDelete